Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Return...and a Few Words on Academics

Hello blog readers! If you haven't stopped checking this out of despair that I would update, never fear, I am back! I took a short hiatus due to being busy with getting settled, and then promptly dropped out of the world for about a week as my dog got very ill and had to put down (while I was in class no less). But, I've taken some time to myself to process, and I return to you, if not as good as new, at least as spastic as usual.

I'm abandoning my attempts to chronicle in logical fashion my time here. Beyond the fact that I have just too much to catch you all up on, my brain just doesn't work in that logical, linear fashion. So, you'll be getting random cultural tidbits as they interest me. I have settled into my container, am going to classes, and have not yet frozen to death (though, maybe thats just because I'm being a wimp and taking public transportation everywhere and NOT biking).

Classes so far are going pretty well, though I have a TON of reading. Never thought I'd say that after taking a Boesche class, but jeez. Also, my classes through CIEE are MUCH easier that my University of Amsterdam classes (here on out referred to as UvA).

Beginning Dutch (CIEE): Just like any other basic level language class, where the professor has a sadistic love of randomly calling on you to read even if you don't have any clue how to say the word in front of you. I mean, come on...I'm still learning how to pronounce Stavangerweg (my dorm). Don't even ask me to pronounce my bus stop, Spaarndamanstraat.

Dutch Social Policy (CIEE): Basically what it sounds like, a class on all of the liberal social policies typically associated with the Netherlands. Probably my most laid back class, but still a significant amount of reading/writing. Pretty interesting overall, though I think I need to respect speaking space and talk less.

Sexuality from a Cross-Cultural Perspective (UvA): This looks like it will have significant overlap with my Queer of Color Critique class from this past semester. I'm a bit disappointed that the vast majority of the students are American, but I guess that can't be helped. Still, the discussion is good, but I feel like I am on a different level with the theoretical knowledge. That's not to say that the class is going to be easy mind you, its just odd feeling comfortable after jumping off the deep end last semester.

Regulation Religious and Cultural Diversity in the Netherlands (UvA): So far my favorite class...but also going to be my hardest class for sure. It is a political science class, which maybe means I can count it towards my major, but I have no idea if i'll be able to pull an A. (The conversion of grades may be not super beneficial). The way this professor leads discussion is..different, though I'm not sure how to explain that. I am looking at things from a different angle which is fun. I'm not sure I appreciate him saying "this week's presentation will be hard, you should do that one!" but we will see what happens.

Well, that's all for now. Good night folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment