Friday, February 26, 2010

Jacquie vs. Dutch Pancakes Part II

So, you know since there was a part one that a part two had to follow.

On the advice of a dutch friend, I decided to be ambitious one morning and attempt to make Dutch pancakes - after all, I had the mix, how hard could it be?

I should stop a moment and remind all of my readers that this semester is the first time I have ever really cooked without a microwave. I regularly have to look up how to do basic things, including but not limited to cooking broccoli, making grilled cheese, and all ways to prepare an egg (I'm still trying to get the burnt-on egg white out of my pan after trying to poach eggs this morning, cause I'm tired of cooking with oil all the time).

Still, I was feeling confident, and figured it couldn't be -all- that hard....

Pancake 1: Far too thick. As I've mentioned in my previous post, Dutch pancakes are supposed to be pretty thin. My first attempt was honestly closer to an American pancake...which was odd considering the mix is pretty different. This one also got a bit broken up from when I flipped it over (using a plate, not actually flipping), and I accidentally let an edge get folded under

Pancake 2: Too oily. I got it to be thinner, but somehow ended up with FAR too much butter, which made me want to pat the pancake down like I would pizza...if only I actually had paper towels.

Pancake 3: I thought this one would be the winner...but nope. It was thin to be sure, and not oily...but I didn't compensate by reducing the time, so it ended up becoming a bit crunch-cracker-like in parts.
Pancake 4: Never happened...I gave up that day, then forgot I had a little mix left until it went rancid. Fail.

Throughout my attempt to make pancakes, I also managed to:
  • Drop a pancake on the floor (not telling which one!)
  • Burn my hand on the pan
  • Get butter in my hair
  • Fling a knife with butter on it against my chest because I burned my hand (second time)

All in all...the pancakes won. Again. (If you remember, I could not conquer the pancakes at the pancake bakery, finding myself bursting before finishing their sugary goodness).

Current Score: Jacquie: 0, Dutch Pancakes: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment