Thursday, March 25, 2010

Finally on Drugs

Ok, this is not quite as exciting or taboo as it sounds. As many of you knew from talking to me, I've basically been sick on and off since I've gotten here. It is such a reverse of how I am normally am, as back in the US i have a superhuman immune system; usually I'll only get sick once or twice a semester, though if I'm sick I'm very sick. Since being in the Netherlands I've been getting sick for two days, fine for four, sick for three, fine for six, and so on.

I went to the university doctor about a month ago for a specific time I was sick, but she told me that I should just rest and drink tons of fluids. She did give me a tiny prescription of some kind for a couple of days, but told me to wait to fill it and see how I was. Since I thought I got better, I never filled it. I was also pretty intimidated by the receptionist, as she wasn't the most friendly towards me when I wasn't in the university system (no idea why), and I needed to pay out of pocket as they don't take my health insurance.

Fast forward a month. After having to skip both Dutch and Dutch Social Policy on Monday as I was in bed with a fever, I decided enough was enough and went back to the doctor. Different receptionist was much friendlier, and the doctor I saw had a better command of English, so that was helpful. She also gave me drugs- An actual course of antibiotics, which is rare in the Netherlands, since they are much more homeopathic based. Woo! Maybe this will spell the end of me being perpetually sick?

No comments:

Post a Comment